Applying for Specialty Certification
An individual may apply to the ABCLLD to become a Board Certified Specialist in Child Language (BCS-CL) by complying with the following Standards for Certification as a Child Language Specialist:
1. Hold current Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP).
2. Verify an equivalent of five years full-time of clinical experience after obtaining the CCC with an emphasis on child language within the 10 years prior to submitting an application for board certification.
3. Document 100 hours of intermediate or advanced educational experiences within the 10 years prior to submitting an application. These experiences must be in the area of child language, which includes the comprehension and production of the form, content, and use of language in individuals from birth to age 21.
4. Demonstrate advanced knowledge, skills, and leadership in the following four domains: 1) Leadership, administration, and advanced professional practice; 2) Collaboration and consultation; 3) Education and advocacy; and 4) Clinical services.
A Brief Peek at Steps to Certification
The ABCLLD three-phase application process requires individuals to submit the necessary requirements in separate sections.
Phase 1: Eligibility Verification (experience, CEUs),
Phase 2: Statement of Philosophy (theoretical orientation), and
Phase 3: Clinical Case Study or Academic-Administrative Case Study (depending on each individual’s background).
Throughout the process, applicants are assigned an advisor to provide support, feedback, and input.
- Please only pay the NONREFUNDABLE Application Fee when ready to formally begin the application process as deadline for submission of requirements begins immediately upon receipt of payment.
- You do not need a PayPal account to pay – simply click the “Pay with Debit or Credit Card” button.